First United Methodist Church of Marietta is seeking a skilled, organized, and energetic Communications Director. We are searching for someone to help us communicate the joy of grace we discover in the church, the power of community we find in one another, and the information we need to do ministry together.
The Communications Director is responsible for communicating the image of the church and maintaining the church brand through official publications, newsletters, marketing materials, advertising, website, social media and other media. The Communications Director will work closely with the church staff to enhance congregational and community awareness of events, projects, programs and services through materials that are high quality, professional, consistent, and church-appropriate in presentation and style. This position will plan and create drafts, manage the editing process with other staff, proof all documents and materials for production, and follow through on final production whether in-house or with external vendors.
Printed Materials: Will create a consistent image for all printed materials and mailings of the church. These materials will include but are not limited to, brochures, posters, postcards, fliers, hymnal wraps, signs, and banners. Responsible for all content including copy, graphics and photos, and final sign off on proofs for production and distribution, whether in-house or through outside vendors.
Website: Will be responsible for daily management and upkeep of the current website.
Photography and Video: Take and edit employee photos, photos of church events, short videos of ministry events, etc. Using the photos and videos, create compelling content for MFUMC’s various communication channels.
Work with outside video production teams for large projects.
Social Media: Develop social media postings on various platforms, monitor social media accounts, and create engagement.
* Develop and execute strategic communication plans for church services, events, news and ministries to internal and external audiences.
* Ensure that all church communication is consistent with the vision, strategy and branding goals of MFUMC.
* Work with outside printers and vendors to produce materials in a timely and professional manner.
* Work with Facility Staff in identifying appropriate signage for both the interior and exterior of the church.
* Develop and manage annual communications budget.
* Other duties may be assigned, and the position is subject to change based upon the needs of the church.
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
* 2-3 years of increased responsibility in communications and marketing (non-profit or church environment a plus but not required.
* College or design school education with Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, graphic design, journalism or related field of study highly preferred.
* Experience in scheduling and managing the workflow of a communications-related project calendar.
* Well organized with the ability to follow through on multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
* Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to communicate using various media.
* Strong understanding of “branding” as it relates to marketing.
* Experience with website and social media platforms.
* Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Premier, After Effects, Audition, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) for graphic creation and manipulation, video and audio edition, media output and encoding for different platforms.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently toward on time, within budget project completion.
* Superior verbal, written and editing / proofreading skills a must. Ability to write creatively and concisely.
* Interact effectively with clergy, staff, ministry teams, volunteers, the public and the media.
* Must successfully pass a background check, drug test and pre-employment tests, if applicable.
* Position is 30 hours/week. Occasional evening and weekend responsibilities. Benefits available and paid-time-off.
Please submit a portfolio or link with sample work with resume.
First United Methodist Church of Marietta is a warm, traditional church located just off the square in Marietta, GA. Our members and congregation are from Marietta and the surrounding communities. MFUMC is both an equal-opportunity employer and a Christian, nonprofit, religious organization. We conduct hiring without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, marital status, parental status, or disability of an otherwise qualified individual.