As a direct report to the Chair of the Trustee Board of Ebenezer Baptist Church, this position is responsible for managing the overall financial health and sustainability of the Church. This includes; providing monthly financial reports, leading annual budget development, managing accounts receivable and payables, conducting cash flow analysis and management, payroll and tax filings, banking relationships and other assigned fiduciary responsibilities. The position requires regular collaboration with the Senior Pastor, the Church Finance Committee and departments of the Church.
Fiscal Management and Reporting
• Provide regular financial reports to the Chair of the Trustee Board, Senior Pastor, Executive Pastor, Finance Committee and Church auxiliaries
• Prepare financial forecasts
• Oversee the annual financial audit
• Assess the Church’s performance against the annual budget
• Manage workers compensation-related items
• Maintain the Church’s banking relationships
• Manage the Church’s bank accounts and cash flow
• Complete analysis of financial results, this includes Developing tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information providing strategic and tactical recommendations
• Effectively interface with Human Resources
Develop and manage financial systems
• Prepare for and assist in managing external audit activities as well as develop and implement internal financial controls
• Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivables, payroll, electronic banking transactions and other financial disbursements ensuring timely processing and payment.
• Ensure the Church’s compliance with all Federal, State and City tax regulations and annual taxes are completed and filed
• Develop and maintain a list of the Church’s assets and inventory
• Oversee the Church’s purchasing function and ensure efficient internal ordering, cost- effective pricing, and timely receipt and delivery of goods ordered
• Plan, direct, lead, and evaluate the Church’s finance and accounting functions and performance
• In collaboration with the Senior Pastor and the Budget and Finance Committee, develop the capital and annual budgets for all auxiliaries and ministries of the church
• Assist in developing financial plans for the Ebenezer Gift Shop and other profit centers
• Works with the Pastors, Treasurer and Committee Chairpersons to develop internal budgets, projections, and trends and changes in the operating model(s) and organizational delivery.
• Supervise the Church accounting staff
Competencies and Experience
• Excellent presentation, verbal, written and interpersonal skills
• Experience working with finance and accounting software packages
• Experience with transitioning organizations to digital-based systems and processes
• Significant experience in or knowledge of GAAP accounting, compliance and reporting
• A willingness to maintain the highest confidentiality of Church/donor information
• Has resiliency/persistency, high energy and a commitment to achieving goals.
• Is proactive and motivated
• Excellent computer skills and knowledge with MS Office and Quick Books
• Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with all levels of staff, boards, members and committees
• Must be forward-thinking and have high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image
• Excellent organization and planning, analytical, communications, and decision- making skills
• Ability to follow written and verbal direction.
• Ability to prioritize workload, meet deadlines and manage many projects simultaneously
• Strong customer-service skills
• Ability to be Flexible
This job operates in a church and professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard building tools and equipment, maintenance tools, machines, office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., except during special programs and events.
Travel within Metropolitan Atlanta is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree – preferably in accounting, finance or business
• Must be bondable
Preferred Education and Experience
• CPA/MBA preferred
• At least 5- 10 years of non-profit or Church financial management Leadership experience with relevant work experience (e.g. Financial analysis and reporting, budgeting, forecasting, cash flow planning, tax compliance, etc.)
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Clear background screens
Other duties as assigned by the Chair of the Trustee Board, along with the Senior and Executive Pastors. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.