Good Hope UMC, Chesapeake, is seeking a quarter-time Music Director to work collaboratively with staff & volunteers to oversee one worship service per week with a blended worship style, including traditional and contemporary pieces. Salary would be commensurate with experience. Hours are approximately 10-15 per week, 2-3 hrs. Sunday, 3-4 hrs. planning & 2 hrs. rehearsal.
Primary Task: Oversees and provides quality, varied, meaningful music that engages the
Congregation in a heart of worship that witness to the love of Christ, in a fellowship of love and celebration. Provide a blended service, utilizing traditional hymns, anthems, and contemporary pieces for a multi-generational experience in worship.
Primary Job Functions:
• Worship planning and collaboration with Lead Pastor.
• Supervision and support for music staff.
• Plan, select, and prepare music including maintaining a music library and other musical resources.
• Train and support recruits and volunteers in music ministry; including but not limited to conducting the chancel choir, special music, incorporate other instruments as appropriate (i.e. guitar).
• Gather and create lyric sheets for the congregation.
• Oversee and maintain CCLI requirements.
• Assist and support volunteers and leadership with online ministry music needs.
• Ensure that all sound re-enforcement needs are met during services.
1. Must have a personal faith in Jesus Christ, fruitful walk, and be supportive and agreeable to Methodist Doctrine.
2. Education in Music and/or the equivalent in experience preferred, also will consider degree seeking candidates.
3. Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement music ministry in partnership with laity. 4. Must have strong, proficient leadership and organizational skills in written and verbal communications, sensitive public relations, i.e. conflict management and computer use, including use of internet and web-based tools.
5. Familiarity with church music, in general, and choral music, in particular, as well as UMC liturgical calendar and church seasons in order to support both the traditional and contemporary worship styles, as required.
6. Actively pursue continued growth, musically or spiritually.
Sick Leave & Vacation:
~The Music Director shall have two weeks of paid vacation per year, with a 45-day notice to the Pastor; one week at a time and not during special seasons during the Christian year.
~All employees within the Music area, ie: Accompanist, Music Director, etc. will receive 2 weeks paid sick leave per calendar year for the first 5 years
~May utilize vacation leave toward extended sick leave beyond allowed 2 weeks.
~ if more time is needed, employee must advise Pastor and Staff Parish Chair with projected amount including a check-in 2 weeks prior to the date of return. (This is to expedite the process of recruiting temporary assistance)
~With both discussion and agreement from Pastor & SPRC, special accommodations can be made.
~After the first 5 years, a week paid sick leave can be added to the original 2 weeks.
Resume with cover letter & references should be submitted to: Lindy M. Magill, 2800 Benefit Rd., Chesapeake, VA 23322 or by email.