The purpose of this position is the development and coordination of a fully graded choir
program and such vocal or instrumental ensembles as may be feasible to provide appropriate
music for the worship services and ministries of the church. Appropriate music is understood to
be music that is scripturally and theologically sound. This music should impress the mind and
touch the heart to inspire a positive response to the Gospel from people, and which is also used
as a vehicle to offer praise, adoration, and supplication to
The Minister of Music is responsible to the pastor, the Personnel Committees,
and the membership of the Derbyshire Baptist Church.
• Oversee enlistment, development, and direction of all musical groups including,
but not limited to: Children’s Choirs (4 yr. old-gr. 6), IMAGE Youth Choir (gr.
7-12), Chancel Choir, Golden Tones Sr. Adult Choir, Young Musicians Handbell
Choir (gr. 4-6), Ringing for Him Youth Handbell Choir (gr. 7-12), Master Ringers
(adult) and Orchestra.
• Supervise the selection and procurement of music.
• Work with the Pastor to plan worship services.
• Serve as worship leader, especially in the area of music.
• Develop, maintain, staff, and evaluate the church’s graded choir program.
• Cultivate the musical talents of as many church members as possible.
• Search for opportunities to develop new musical groups and numerically enlarge
musical groups with the church.
• Provide for the training of all music leaders.
• Supervise the work of the church organist and pianist.
• Provide leadership for graded choir volunteer directors.
• Lead in the promotion of Christmas and other special musical events – this is done
in cooperation with the pastor, and the Communications Team.
• Plan, develop, and administer the church music budget in cooperation with the
Finance Committee, pastor, and staff administrator.
• Perform at special services such as weddings, funerals, revivals, conferences, etc. as
requested. Counsel with those planning such events as appropriate.
• Plan, develop administer, evaluate and support the total music ministry of the
• Lead in planning retreats, concerts, and tours for the youth choir ministry; both local
and out of state.
• Work in cooperation with the Minister of Youth to coordinate goals, calendar, and
maximize ministry results.
• Work with the Pastor to determine the scheduling of visiting choirs and musical
guests. Once calendared, work to see that all arrangements are made. (i.e. housing,
meals, promotion, sound system.)
• Serve as Staff Liaison on assigned committees.
• Adjunct Musical Responsibilities:
– Joy Club Music accompanist for the musical portion of each monthly Joy
– Serve as staff contact to any community music groups using the church.
– Be visible in/at school and community music events and concerts as possible.
– Work in conjunction with the mission of the church to reach our community
• As a staff minister, be available for counseling to church members requesting spiritual
guidance, prayer support, etc.
• Identify maintenance needs that directly relate to the Music Ministry and take
appropriate action to ensure that facilities and equipment are cared for appropriately. (i.e.
– Organ and piano tuning and repair; handbell and instrument maintenance; hymnal
repairs and replacement; sound system maintenance; choir robe maintenance, etc.)
• Visitation: Visit both members and hospitalized members as appropriate. Seek to give a
Christian witness and enlist prospects as church members.
• Utilize composition skills in ways which contribute both to Derbyshire Baptist Church
and the larger Christian community.
• Work with vocal and instrumental soloists.
• Perform other duties assigned by the pastor.