We desire a pastor who preaches from the Bible (hopefully extemporaneously) and can inspire and communicate sermons that are stimulating to the congregation. Our pastor must be sympathetic to those who are suffering, and willing to work with them in a spiritual capacity. This person needs to have a strong personal depth of spiritual grounding, one who is trustworthy and authentic and is willing to seek wisdom and guidance with appropriate mentors. Good teaching skills are important to us. Being able to interpret the Scriptures in unique ways and providing opportunities other than worship to grow our faith are desired, one who is a passionate learner who yearns for spiritual growth through continuing education and to share this with our congregation. This pastor must have the ability to provide counseling and guidance in a compassionate way. Our pastor must be a great communicator with good listening skills. As times change so should our church change with the help of the pastor. New visions and goals will need to be carefully thought out and presented to the congregation, with the help of interested committees. All of this can be done with a pastor who is able to get people to work together, have open dialogue and create a special feeling of a job well done. This requires a pastor who is a good judge of talent and can accurately assess the strengths and limitations of others.
We are looking for a pastor who is compassionate, emotionally supportive, and who will connect with each individual as well as the congregation while maintaining confidentiality. This person needs to have a lighter side where he or she can have fun, enjoy humor, and have a true enthusiasm not only for Christ, but for life as well. The pastor should enjoy working with children and youth of all ages and help in the continuation of growth in the Christian Education programs. He or she should be able to lead worship, sharing their knowledge of scripture with historical perspective. We desire a person who is diplomatic, willing to facilitate small group discussions, and counsel church members. Overall, he or she should have a deep relationship with God, and a heart for winning others to Him.
- Prepare and lead worship
- Celebrate Baptism and Communion
- Conduct weddings and funerals
- Lead Session meetings. Working with Session to implement the governing responsibilities of church operations
- Assist church committees to ensure good communication and smooth operation
- Participate in Christian Education and provide a learning environment
- Attend Presbytery meetings, and the General Assembly when possible
- Offer support during adversity —visit the sick, elderly, bereaved— providing counsel, praying with and for the congregation
- Pursue continuing education —study and experience— prepare oral/written presentations
- Maintain knowledge of church budget and finances
- Prepare Pastor’s Annual Report
- Attend church social functions
- Demonstrate community outreach
- Demonstrate inclusiveness in the congregation
- Empower the ministry of others
- Demonstrate a strong, clear sense of purpose
- Seek the wisdom and guidance of mentors
- Possess a willingness to be an agent of change
- Supervise the church staff including church secretary, christian education director, choir director and accompanist.
- Additional responsibilities as agreed upon by Pastor and Session
Preaching and Worship Leadership
Strategy and Vision